CMU men's basketball use stellar defense in win over WMU

d-mensbasketballvstoledo-photo-1-19-24-02

Central Michigan's junior guard Anthony Pritchard drives against Toledo's Dante Maddox Jr. during a game on Friday, Jan. 19 in McGuirk Arena. Pritchard led CMU with 20 points. (Marie Underwood | CM-Life)

Getting out to a quick start has been a struggle for Central Michigan men’s basketball all season. It was a little different in Saturday's game as the Chippewas opened up a 19-3 lead over rival Western Michigan 10 minutes into the contest.

CMU kept a lead for the remainder of the game, though WMU cut the score to single digits multiple times.

The 62-55 win is the third-straight for the Chippewas and now brings them to 11-9 on the season while being 6-2 in Mid-American Conference play.

“These guys are making me look good,” head coach Tony Barbee said. “It's about this group of individuals that have come together to sacrifice and thrive and lose themselves and lose their ego. This is a special group.”

Western Michigan cut the CMU lead to five points multiple times in the second half, but the resilient Chippewa squad never allowed WMU to get any closer.

CMU opened up another double-digit lead at the halfway mark, continuing to hold it until 30 seconds in the game where the Broncos made back-to-back three’s cutting CMU’s lead to six. However, the Chippewas iced the game with free throws on the ensuing possession.

Holding the Broncos to three points through the first 10 minutes wasn’t the only impressive defensive stat CMU had in the game as WMU only managed 16 points at the half.

Though scoring for Western Michigan picked up in the second half, CMU was still able to hold the Broncos' offense to 55 points compared to its season average of 74 points per game.

“Defense is the separator,” Barbee said. “They (Western Michigan) have been really efficient and one of the best offensive teams in the league and for us to do that says something about where this team is and were our defense is.”

The CMU defense forced WMU into 17 turnovers, with graduate guard Brian Taylor leading the way with four steals.

Again, the Chippewas were underwhelming on the offensive end of the court, only managing to score 62 points which is less than its already low season average of 67.

CMU only made two three-point shots in the game, while it only attempted 11 compared to its season average of almost 20.

“We've got to be better offensively. We got to get some guys playing at a more confident level offensively," Barbee said.

One Chippewa continued his terrific season with that being junior guard Anthony Pritchard. He had a season high 23 points and had a near triple-double having eight rebounds and six assists both of which are team highs.

“He’s (Pritchard) a leader,” Barbee said. “He was a big-time scorer in high school, but he's been an absolute pitbull on the defensive end of the floor."

Junior forward Markus Harding also added solid scoring, having 15 points in only 21 minutes of play due to foul trouble.

“Markus got in foul trouble he was setting up to have a big game, I didn't think they could really defend him on the interior,” Barbee said.

Central Michigan will head home for a single game on Tuesday, when it welcomes Northern Illinois to McGuirk arena at 7 p.m.