CMU softball sweeps Buffalo in weekend series

d-softballvsbuffalodh-photo-4-13-2024-01
Central Michigan freshman Keira Tolmie celebrates while rounding third base after hitting a walk-off home run during game two of a doubleheader against Buffalo, Saturday, April 13 at Margo Jonker Stadium. The homerun was Tolmie's career first at CMU. (Marie Underwood | CM-Life)

After a win on Friday 9-0, the Central Michigan softball team completed the sweep with shutouts in the second and third games of its weekend series against Buffalo. 

The first game ended in a 3-0 win while the Chippewas dominated in the third game 8-0.

“I think offensively we didn’t try to do too much,” head coach McCall Salmon said. “Lots of two-out execution was key, yesterday to today. And then putting the ball in play and good things happened for us, complete team effort across the board.”

Game 1

The first inning opened with two early strikeouts from sophomore Mackenzie Langhan, leaving Buffalo scoreless in the first inning. 

After moving to the bottom of the first, a hit from freshman Carly Sleeman would move both Abbey and Keira Tolmie to second and third base, ultimately sending Abbey Tolmie home. 

Again, at the frontlines were the Tolmie sisters who both were at bat three times who combined for two hits and two runs in the game. The freshman made an impact with Keira Tolmie and Sleeman at the forefront.

“In this third game today, we had five freshmen starting,” Salmon said. “I think that just shows our versatility and how they’re maturing and settling in as Chippewas. (I’m) just proud of them and their approaches, that’s what we want to see at this point in the season.”

The Chippewa defense remained powerful as they left Buffalo scoreless in the second and third innings. 

Another opportunity came for the Chippewas in the bottom of the third. Keira Tolmie worked her way through the bases as a hit from senior Skylar Coberley sent her home. 

Not long after her hit, Coberley stole second and eventually found home giving CMU a 3-0 lead. 

The game was quiet in the remaining innings, however the Chippewa defense locked down on the Buffalo offense, preventing them from scoring throughout the game.

Game 2

CMU opened early, shutting Buffalo out in the first inning. After striking a Buffalo batter out, the game moved into the bottom of the first where the Chippewas scored early. 

The Chippewa defense continued to hold Buffalo to zero hits or runs throughout the second inning and scored again in the bottom of the third. 

Sleeman’s second double of the day put two runners on base and eventually Abbey Tolmie slid home.

Advancing to the fourth inning, CMU exploded when freshman Grace Koenig ran home from second base and scored on the throw. Their second opportunity came shortly after when Abbey Tolmie tripled, sending freshman Emma Lotus home. 

In the fourth inning, the Chippewas found home three times after miscommunication from Buffalo’s outfield. Skylar Coberley, Koenig, and junior Allyssa Hollo all scored giving CMU a 7-0 lead going into the top of the sixth. 

However, the game wasn’t quite over, after Buffalo failed to score in the sixth, the Chippewas would close out the game with a bang when Keira Tolmie hit her first colligate homer. 

Coming into this weekend's series, CMU was tied for sixth place with Kent State. After this clean sweep, the Chippewas advanced to fourth place.

“We just have to keep winning every series,” Salmon said. “Getting the sweep today takes back not getting the series win against Western. Every series that’s our focus…we have to take it one day at a time and now our next focus will be Bowling Green.”