Field hockey opens season with a 3-0 win

The field hockey team won its opening game for the first time since 2006-07 Friday, winning 3-0 in Colgate.

“We really felt good especially since we have gotten off to slow starts the last couple of years,” said coach Cristy Freese. “This needed to be a big weekend for us and it was certainly nice to start off with a win and a shut out.”

Freshman Erin Dye buried a shot into the back of the cage to give CMU a 1-0 lead going into the half.

Fifth-year senior Kelly Jordan and sophomore Lauren Leed would combine to score two goals in the final 15 minutes to secure a 3-0 win for the Chippewas.

Senior goalkeeper Melinda Curran recorded the shutout by turning aside the only shot she faced.

Before the game, Freese was looking for players, like Jordan, to step up and fill the void left from last year in the scoring department. With Jordan notching a goal in the contest, Freese was impressed but not satisfied.

“I think that Kelly played well but we need to work on our penalty corners,” Freese said. “We did not score on any of our penalty corners. That is where Kelly is going to pick up more goals and that is an area of the game that we need to improve on.”

Jordan thinks that this win will give the team some positive momentum going into Saturday’s game against Rider. The game begins at 2 p.m.

“I think that we stepped up as a team and we played really well,” she said. “This game makes our confidence a lot higher. Everyone is excited going into tomorrow even though tomorrow is a new day.”