Manners in the classroom are important

allenlonnie

I hate to admit it, but texting during class sucks. It is annoying and disruptive.

So pardon the interruption to your personal life, but it is time for class. Turn the phone off.

Students may think there is no harm in texting or checking Facebook and so on while sitting in class. However, there are people around you who would probably disagree.

As a nontraditional student and working most of my life before starting college, cell phone use and texting has never been an issue for myself during class. It is a habit for me to turn off any device that would be disruptive.

Of course, I am not perfect and I have had a phone go off in class. It is embarrassing. But I have never had the audacity to answer the phone in class.

That actually happened in one of my classes at Grand Rapids Community College, where a classmate answered a call during lecture. This has yet to happen to me at CMU.

Here, I have experienced students texting away during lecture as if it was a social norm.

I guess I missed the memo in the syllabus that turning off the cell phone really meant text when you think the professor isn’t paying attention to you, or only text when they can’t see you.

I can’t understand why this generation of students is texting away while the professor speaks during class.

This is a problem for students sitting around the texter clicking away on the keys of a phone or computer to update their status on whatever social network used. The person next to them is inadvertently distracted.

I just missed what was said because my attention went from the lecture to wondering about my own social network status. Or how many people are trying to get a hold of me by phone because of my neighbor’s inability to wait until after class to communicate with friends.

Please shut the phone off during class. How hard is that? To some, it would be like taking away heroin or crack from an addict. I am serious. I believe it is that kind of a problem for some people.

Texting is the preferred way of communication, according to a survey from eROI, which looked at a sample of 283 high school and college students from 29 states here in the U.S about the way students communicate today. Texting remains supreme with 37 percent selecting it as their preferred method of communication.

Maybe a jamming system for cell phones in classrooms could be installed. But one way that could work for sure is if students step up, take the responsibility of being an adult and shut off their phones.

Use the class for learning instead of texting.