Segways are a waste of money, CMU police should use bicycles

I see the approachability of police officers important to relationships with all of campus and the surrounding community.

While interesting and novel to watch last week, I hope Segway-mounted officers is a thing of the past. If the goal is to find new transportation methods, let’s consider the humble bicycle for a moment. Bicycles have stood the test of time as a quality transportation option.

They have many advantages over Segways.

Segways are wide and, while moving, take up more lateral space than bicycles.

The $6,800 price tag of a Segway would purchase many high-quality police bikes.

Bicycles don’t require charging batteries. Bicycles place the officers within the campus transportation culture. Bicycles are faster and highly maneuverable. Bicycles are easily and inexpensively maintained by the rider or a local bike shop. By first-hand experience, Segways don’t do well in snow, but a properly outfitted bike can be ridden in all of Michigan’s seasons.

Bicycles require active participation to use, which is an excellent means of exercise for the rider. It’s great to see and talk with the Mount Pleasant police officers and park rangers on bicycles.Their bikes make them a part of the community culture.

Segways may be an option, but they create a distance between officers due to the snobby chic of the pricey machine itself.

Please thoroughly consider bicycle mounted officers as a more viable and affordable option for CMU. Anything that gets us out of the car and closer to the university community is a good thing.

I applaud the interest to improve community relations. Let’s see more CMU Police on bicycles.

Ride safe.

Ryan Flesher NAS Coordinator/Instructor