In lean times, RSOs and clubs should use funds more effectively

It’s time to tighten the belts and trim the fat off spending at Central Michigan University.

University officials are meeting and discussing possible departments and programs to go on the chopping block. Last month, the student body, faculty and staff were asked for feedback on possible ways to save money.

Academic programs are the first priority for funding at CMU. Every other program needs to cut back on their current budget, including the Student Government Association. It should rethink its position on asking for an increase in funding to the Campus Programming fund.

In Michigan, the crisis for funding education keeps getting worse. Governor Jennifer Granholm announced a 3 percent reduction in funding for state universities.

SGA should take the lead here by withdrawing its request. SGA could take it one step further by offering to give back some of the money it receives from the university.

I understand the SGA wants to improve the college experience at CMU.

However, coming from a community college background where I served on the Student Congress and on the Campus Activities Board, I know a bit about the college experience. With a budget of $68,000, one-third of the Campus Programming General Fund at Grand Rapids Community College, our board and many organizations were able to enhance and improve the college experience for students.

I know I will be accused of comparing apples to oranges on the differences between the two colleges.

However, there is almost as many students at GRCC as there are at CMU. This year, GRCC had 17,000 full-time students on its downtown campus. More than 30,000 people are expected to be part of the school when part-time and non-credit students are included, according to the GRCC website.

With this amount of students and with the small amount of funding available while I was a student there, the college experience was never deemphasized. Each department, from programming boards to student life and other organization on campus, increased their efforts for fundraising and put student needs first. No matter what amount the funding, goals were achieved.

Another tool used was the Grand Rapids community itself. It wasn’t uncommon for students to be knocking on business’ doors and making phone calls to help raise funds for many programs at GRCC.

I am not asking the SGA or any other organization to stop or cut back on the college experience at CMU. I am asking them to take the lead and cut back on their own funding.

It is time for SGA to give back. Academic departments at CMU need to continue their mission without cuts to programs that gives us the education sought by students.