Transcend to host gender-affirming garage sale

Transcend flyer advertising second gender-affirming Garage Sale at CMU, 2024

Transcend is hosting a gender-affirming Garage Sale this Friday from 2-5 p.m. in the Bovee University Center Maroon Room. The event aims to sell clothes to those who may not be able to comfortably shop elsewhere, Transcend President Alex Hurt said.

“We usually have a little music playing, just trying to make it a more comfortable experience,” Hurt said.

Hurt said that they organize the Sale to be as confirming as possible. They have multiple tables pushed together, with a spectrum of clothing sizes from small to large spread across them. The clothes will not be organized by gender.

“You can look for clothes that feel most comfortable to you,” Hurt said.

The Garage Sale prices will be the same or very similar to last year, Hurt said.

Last year’s prices:

Shirts: $3

Pants: $3

Hoodies/Sweaters: $4

Dresses: $4

Shoes: $6

Guests can pay with cash or PayPal, Hurt said. The RSO also accepted Apple Pay, Venmo, and Cash App last year. Hurt said they try to accommodate people's needs.

After this year’s clothing swap, the RSO has a lot of clothes to sell.

“Every year, we bring in clothes people no longer identify with. Everyone can go through and choose clothes that they find affirming to them,” Hurt said. The remaining clothes go to the Garage Sale. The RSO also gets donations; Hurt said that they received, “One and a half bins and like, two other bags” of clothes.

Hurt organized the event, but he will have a lot of help setting up.

“We have a pretty big (executive) board who is pretty enthusiastic and helpful,” Hurt said. “We love them." He said their general members also come to help out.

Hurt said that their first garage sale last year was a success.

“We got a lot of traffic and the members were also happy to be helping out,” Hurt said. In addition to a good turnout, the RSO earned around $100, Hurt said. He said about 20 to 30 people came to buy clothes at the event.

“This year we’re hoping for a little more, because it was very successful and people were saying they want it next year,” Hurt said.