Next year can be a good year, if one's attitude allows for it

This year has been nothing short of amazing.

The first African American president was inaugurated into the Oval Office in January, making an astonishing history with promises of “hope” and “change.” Another black president on the opposite side of the spectrum was called to judgment. Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir was issued an arrest warrant for war crimes against humanity in March for the genocide in Darfur.

Our economy has seen troubled times, too. There has been an influx of evictions, repossessions, U.S. unemployment rate increases and the U.S. bankruptcy and bailout of GM and Chrysler.

Yet, even though many of us are not unscathed by the disparaging news of our economy, housing and broken promises in Michigan colleges, we should remember our past is what we made of it. Our future is what soon will be.

2009 was not only a tough year for many individuals, but a lesson in what it means to be resilient, unwavering, compassionate and inevitably human. In our humanity, what lessons have we learned to take into the new year?

That is the question I plan on answering for myself, and I hope you will do the same.

As students, what are your goals for next year and next semester? Personally, I plan on bettering myself academically, personally and professionally. And it’s not just about receiving better grades (even though that is important), but changing my life and those around me in society. This can be as simple as striving to study for an extra hour in the library or becoming a Big Brother or Sister. It can be anything that makes a positive change.

For the upcoming CMU graduates, they will be new working members in our society, leaders among many other college graduates who are going to change the very world we know. I thank them in advance for their contributions. They are much needed.

2009 is a year that has taught America to appreciate the important things such as health, with the H1NI virus frightening many. We also remembered to appreciate life when the King of Pop, Michael Jackson, died in June.

This year has taught us to be thankful as well. No matter how dismal it may have been, many of us still are able to obtain our education, with enough resources to finance it.

For me, I am very appreciative of you, the reader, for allowing me to be your columnist. This column has been an amazing opportunity to share my hopes, frustrations and questions of the world with you. Thank you for listening and challenging me to become better through my work.

Because amid the troubles in America and all around the world, there is still something to celebrate; A new year.

There will be new promises and new reasons to believe 2010 will be better, because it will be accompanied by a better you.