Sports Update: Women's basketball holds off Valparaiso

The women’s basketball team won its second consecutive game of the season Saturday in a 70-68 thriller at Valparaiso in front of 717 at the Athletics-Recreation Center.

A pair of made free throws from guard senior Kendra Holman with 1.4 seconds remaining gave CMU a two point lead and win.

Valparaiso guard Betsy Adams, with a chance to win the game for the Crusaders, had her 3-point field goal hit the backboard but not fall, sealing the game for Chippewas and improving its record to 2-5 on the season.

Senior forward Britni Houghton led the way for CMU with a game-high 28 points, matching her career-high and scoring in double-figures for the second straight game.

Holman added 13 points off the bench, going 3-of-3 on 3-point field goals.

“I thought she did a very good job of running the show,” coach Sue Guevara said. “Our bench came through today and Kendra got her turn.”

The game remained close early on before the Crusaders jumped out to a 29-18 lead with 6:14 left in the first half. CMU fired back with a series of steals and defensive stops to take the lead at 32-30 on a 14-1 run.

Valparaiso regained their lead and closed the half up by seven points, 40-33, on 56 percent shooting from the floor.

The Crusaders hot shooting continued early on in the second half, extending their lead to as many as 11 points on three separate occasions – even as late as 11:01 remaining.

And again, the Chippewas answered with an 11-2 run to close the gap to two before trading baskets with Valparaiso and eventually tying the game at 62 on a layup from junior Kaihla Szunko (12 points, seven rebounds) with 4:39 left.

“If it’s one thing about this team, they keep coming back,” Guevara said. “In both of our wins, we’ve been down and we’ve battled back.”

Key play from sophomore Skylar Miller (four points, three rebounds), junior Laura Baker (two points, three rebounds) and freshman Rachel Mauk (three points, three rebounds) down the stretch helped CMU maintain a one possession lead, holding off Valparaiso (3-3).

“We’re only as good as our bench,” Guevara said. “We’re getting production from different people and it’s paying off.”

CMU was outshot by Valparaiso, 47.1 percent to 39.7 percent.

Each team grabbed 33 rebounds for the game, the first time this season the Chippewas were not out rebounded.

Forward Lauren Kenney scored 21 points and grabbed 12 rebounds for the Crusaders.

The team has an eight day break before traveling to Alabama to play Alabama-Birmingham on Dec. 14 and Alabama A&M on Dec. 15. Tipoff for each game is at 8 p.m.