Census strides being sensitive when it comes to race

As the 2010 Census is getting under way, some controversy surrounding the census form itself has arisen.

Specifically, the use of the word “Negro” on the form, alongside of “African American” and “Black,” for the question dealing with race is met with opposition from some.

Some African Americans have criticized the U.S. Census Bureau for using a word that some associate with racism from the Jim Crow days.

Originally, the Census Bureau had considered taking the word “Negro” off the form, since it is viewed as archaic by most people; however, the decision was made to keep it on the form because some older African Americans still use the term, and the Census Bureau did not want to come across as ageist.

In fact, more than 55,000 people wrote in the word “Negro” on the 2000 Census forms even though it was printed alongside the box for “African American” and “Black.”

In attempting to appease a group of people, the Census Bureau discovered something — no matter how hard you try to please everybody, you are always going to make somebody angry.

I know African Americans who do not like the term “Black” because they believe it is demeaning. I know black people who do not identify with the term “African American” because they did not directly come from Africa. And I even know one elderly black man who prefers to use the term “Negro.”

The Census Bureau was trying to accommodate more people — to make filling out the census easier. It was not trying to be racist.

I have not heard accusations that the United Negro College Fund is using an archaic, racist word. If “Negro” is an unacceptable word for the census, should the UNCF change its name as well?

Ultimately, I think the Census Bureau made the right decision. It was trying to make filling out the census form less confusing for elderly African Americans. Instead of complaining about political correctness over such a little, insignificant issue, we should be focusing on bigger, more pressing issues.

By 2020, the term “Negro” will probably be completely obsolete (or close to it), and will most likely be taken off of the form but, for now, is the Census Bureau really doing that much harm by keeping it there?