Mouzourakis, Breed new leaders of SGA; Agnello asking for re-vote

Brittany Mouzourakis and David Breed were elected the next president and vice president of the Student Government Association today — but not without controversy.

The pair had 1,170 of the 2,121 student votes, said Sean Howard, a Marysville senior and SGA election committee co-chairman. Their opponents, Troy junior Evan Agnello and Highland junior Jessica Richard, received 951 votes, leaving Mouzourakis/Breed with 55.2 percent of the votes.

However, officials say there were problems with the election process.

Press releases from the Agnello campaign claim some students who attempted to vote after midnight Saturday could not because there was nothing to vote for — cutting the election short by 12 hours.

Howard acknowledged problems with the system.

“We apologize that people could not vote,” Howard said. “However, this is the official vote.”

Howard said voting was supposed to end at noon on Sunday and heard of several students who were not able to log into voting.

Howard said himself, current SGA President Jason Nichol, and Sarah Lechota, a Flint senior and co-chairwoman of the election committee, could make the decision to call for a re-vote. But Nichol, a Mount Pleasant senior, said the group decided it was unnecessary.

One of the students who was unable to vote after midnight was Northville junior Matthew Amatucci.

“I was informed the polls closed at noon,” Amatucci said. “I tried to vote at 3 and 9 a.m., but it said no election was running.”

Agnello's response Agnello said he felt the election was unfair to the students.

“This is absurd and goes against all principles of open, honest and clean elections,” he said in a press release to Central Michigan Life. “This election was never transparent and it was clear from the beginning that certain forces within SGA would do whatever they could to ensure the status-quo won.”

Richard could not be reached for comment Sunday and Agnello would not offer further comment beyond his press releases.

Agnello said in the press release, he contacted Tony Voisin, director of Student Life. Voisin told CM Life voting is left completely to SGA.

Both parties would see drawbacks from the fact the voting site was down, Breed said.

“Even if they did close early, we were also at a disadvantage,” the Muskegon senior said. “Not only could their people not vote, but ours couldn’t as well.”

Mouzourakis said glitches happen every year. Last year, a glitch left all votes from the first day of voting uncounted and forced some voters to recast.

“I don’t think it needs a re-vote,” she said. “Most people had their chance to vote and, plus, 219 votes is really hard to get.”

This year’s election was longer than those in the past by a day and a half. Last year, the election went from Monday through Friday, Howard said, whereas, this year, it was extended through the weekend as well.

New administration

Mouzourakis, a Garden City senior, said she has already begun plans for the next SGA meeting, scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. Monday in Moore Hall 112.

“I think it is really exciting — Dave and I are well prepared,” said Mouzourakis. “We will be announcing open Executive Committee seats and talking about what we want to do for next year.”

With 2,121 total votes cast in this year’s SGA election, approximately 10.4 percent of the university’s estimated 20,444 students participated.