Democrats, Republicans bifurcating politics more and more

Author and education reform activist Jonathan Kozol once said, “Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win.”

Some members of the Republican Party would do well to heed Kozol’s words of wisdom.

There is nothing inherently wrong with Republicans opposing some of the policies of President Barack Obama — in fact, “loyal opposition” is a healthy part of our American government.

But when the minority party moves from loyal opposition to stubborn opposition simply for the sake of opposing the other party, the political system fails.

Right now, the political system in America is flirting with that line.

While it is currently Republicans in the minority, Republicans and Democrats are guilty of increasing the partisan divide this nation is facing.

On Saturday, Obama made 15 recess appointments, meaning the Senate did not have to approve 15 nominees they would normally be required to approve.

As expected, Republicans in the Senate criticized Obama’s move and expressed outrage that they were being left out of the process.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., described the President’s actions as “another episode of choosing a partisan path despite bipartisan opposition.”

But where was the outrage from Republicans when former President George W. Bush made 171 recess appointments?

For the most part, there was no Republican outrage.

There was outrage from the Democrats but, interestingly enough, most of that outrage has not been expressed over Obama’s recess appointments.

This is to be expected — it’s partisan politics.

It’s the way it always has been and always will be.

Even George Washington appointed someone during a Senate recess, and every recent President has appointed at least 100 people during Senate recesses.

If Americans are not careful, we will see an exponential explosion of partisanship.

We have already seen it happen with the filibuster, something that both parties have used increasingly more since the 1960s and, while the Republicans are using it now, I can guarantee the Democrats will not stop using it when they are in the minority.

So I pose these questions to the Senate Republicans: Is this really that big of a deal?

Aren’t there bigger fights to fight?

Take the high road.

If you are going to oppose Obama’s actions, do it based on policy, not insignificant political reasons.