Helping out victims of sexual abuse

Survivors of violence are not the only ones affected by assaults.

The people in the life of the survivor also are affected.

They could be friends, family members, boyfriends or girlfriends.

You may choose to speak up for those who are being abused or to let them know you are there to help if they need you.

It is important for people to encourage the survivor to get help if they need it.

People may want to offer to help their friend or family member report the assault by going with them to offer support.

It also is important for the person to speak up if they notice someone showing signs of being abusive.

Some early signs that someone is becoming abusive may include jealousy, possessiveness and controlling tendencies.

By speaking up a person is pointing out these traits and that they should not be treating others this way.

Many people find it hard to voice their concerns about sexual assault.

Usually, people are more likely to speak up if it is a person they know, as opposed to someone they are acquainted with.

In order to prevent sexual assault, it is important to remember it is up to you to say something.

Speaking out does not have to be a big production. The most essential rule to remember is to respect the rights of others.

Abuse can quickly escalate into a life-threatening situation. You should recognize the issue before it has the potential to grow.

Remember that most people in abusive relationships may not be aware of it.

When a person is in a relationship, it is easy to get caught up emotionally and become blind to what their relationship really is.

If you speak up to those being abused, let them know you are not attacking their relationship, but instead mentioning the issue because you care about that person.

Someone can encourage their friend to discuss conflicts involved in relationships and try to help them recognize what a healthy relationship is and should be.

You do not want your friend to ask you later, “Why you did not say anything?”

Help stop abuse! Speak up!

COM 353: Small Group

Communication