Pitchers, Coldren lead softball team to weekend success

(Matthew Stephens/Senior Photographer)

The pressure soared for CMU pitchers last weekend, facing two of the top four offenses in the Mid-American Conference.

Four games later, just five runs were allowed — leading to four consecutive wins.

Junior Kari Seddon and freshman Kara Dornbos allowed just seven hits Saturday and Sunday in the two-game series against Ohio.

“Just every game, whether they are a strong offensive team, we just need to come out and play our game, and that is what we did this weekend,” Dornbos said.

Seddon did not allow a hit through the first 6 and 1/3 innings Saturday, until Emily Wethington earned a hit through the left side of the infield.

But she calmed down after a circle visit by Margo Jonker as Ohio managed another hit and got a run on the scoreboard. She got Deanna Hartsough to pop out to Brittini Merchant.

“(Coach Jonker) said that I was just working too fast for me,” Seddon said. “I like to work at a slower pace, so she just told me to slow down and trust my pitches and do what I do.”

Dornbos found herself in trouble in just two innings Sunday, but caught Alexis Zambrana looking on a called third strike to get her out of the second inning with a runner on third.

It was not until the top of the sixth before Ohio mounted another threat, as it loaded the bases after an error by sophomore shortstop Molly Coldren with two outs.

Again, Jonker came out to the circle to keep her pitcher under control.

“She told me just to relax and throw the way I have been,” Dornbos said. “And that is what you have to do in those situations, and just trust your defense around you.” Dornbos got Hartsough to pop out to Coldren to end Ohio’s threat.

Being able to follow Seddon’s starts really helps her learn the opposing team’s lineup, Dornbos said.

“It helps a lot,” she said. “You can see what they can hit and what they can’t. It works really well for us.”

Seddon started the weekend Friday scattering five hits over seven innings for a shutout. Central beat Akron 3-0. Dornbos followed Seddon’s game with a complete game to finish the doubleheader.

Dornbos allowed four hits and three runs, but CMU won 4-3.

COLDREN PROVIDES THE RUNS

While Dornbos and Seddon took care of controlling the other team’s bats, Coldren provided plenty of runs for Central over the weekend.

Coldren went 4-for-10 and scored three runs in the four games.

After CMU took a 1-0 lead Sunday, Coldren got a chance to add some runs with Ashley Gilson on third base and Amber Olejniczak on second.

Coldren bunted to score Gilson from third after Emily Wethington’s throw was late to home. When Coldren saw an opportunity to get to second on the play, she went for it. It forced Ohio’s Jordan Paden to throw it to second, giving Olejniczak the chance to break for home.

After initially being called out at home, Olejniczak was eventually ruled safe with Coldren safe on second.

On Saturday, Coldren took the first pitch she saw in the third inning and lined it to left-center field to score two runners, and later scored in the inning to help account for all three of Central’s runs.

Coldren said the key has been to stay relaxed at the plate.

“Just confidence and playing loose,” she said. “Staying true to myself and knowing what I can and can’t do.”