Sidewalks, lighting OKed for campus connector project; City commissioners postpone ethics policy decision

City commissioners voted to go ahead with only sidewalks and lighting Monday in the campus connector project.

The commission voted 5-2 to move forward with the widening of sidewalks to 8 feet, increased lighting, artwork and mandated snow removal in the project, which aims to create a cohesive path between downtown Mount Pleasant and Central Michigan University’s campus. Mayor Jim Holton and Commissioner Jeffrey Palmer dissented.

However, commissioners sent street designs back to the drawing board for city employees to rethink street layout, saying the two designs presented have too many problems. The first design would create two-way bicycle lanes on Main Street and reduce the street to one lane, and make Washington a two-way street with no bicycle lanes. The second option would add a bicycle lane and create two-way traffic on both Washington and Main streets.

"It does sound like we're not ready to proceed," Commissioner Kathy Ling said. "If we're really looking to make a difference there, we need some buy-in (from students)."

Commissioner Sharon Tillman said more student input is needed as well. She did, however, support part of the project moving forward.

"The sidewalks and the lighting, those are the two things that are very critical," she said.

Several residents had concerns regarding the connector. Steve Berkshire, who lives on Main Street, said changing the directions of the roads would lead to more confusion.

"Nobody pays attention to the one-way street," he said. "People won't pay attention to bike lanes."

With the decision to move forward, the commission voted to accept a $100,000 state energy grant from for the increased lighting. The budget for the project is $250,000. The first option would cost $274,000, while the second would cost $460,000.

Other business

The commission postponed a vote on the pending city ethics policy. Several commissioners said they felt uncomfortable with the conflict of interest language when it came to dealing with cases involving friends and family.

The draft policy currently states the official may not participate in a discussion or vote if the matter results in "any private gain" for himself or herself. The policy does not include spouses or children, something Ling was very hesitate about.

"If my son was the one making a request ... I would have a problem with that," she said. "I think it's a hard sell." The commission also voted to hold several public hearings and special sessions. The commission voted to meet at 5:30 p.m. April 29 at City Hall, 320 W. Broadway St., to discuss the 2011 budget.

The commission will hold a public hearing at its meeting on May 10 to discuss setting the city millage rate at 15.75 mills. The commission will hold a public hearing at its May 24 meeting to discuss the 2011-2015 Capital Improvement Plan.