Softball starts weekend with three wins

The Central Michigan softball team won its third consecutive game Saturday beating Ohio 3-1 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

The Chippewas did all their scoring with two outs in the bottom of the third. With Amanda Klosterman on second base and Ashley Gilson on first base, sophomore Molly Coldren came to bat.

She lined the first pitch she saw to left-center field to score both Klosterman and Gilson and put herself on second base with a double.

“She had pitched me outside for the first at-bat so I kind of expected it,” Coldren said. “I saw the pitch and I went for it.”

Senior Jill Schulz singled to score Coldren to give Central all the runs it needed.

Junior Kari Seddon was in the circle for the Chippewas and retired the first 12 batters and no-hit the Bobcats through 6 and 1/3 innings.

“I felt like I could spot my pitches well,” Seddon said. “My ball was moving pretty well, especially on a cold day — you never know with a cold day for a pitcher.”

Emily Wethington finally broke through with a single on the left side of the infield for Ohio.

It eventually scored one run in the top of the seventh, but couldn't manage to get any more runs across the plate.

Seddon took the win for the Chippewas moving to 11-7, and Melissa Bonner took the loss for Ohio falling to 5-8.

Friday

On Friday, It took just one pitch in the doubleheader against Akron for senior center fielder Christina Novak to tie the CMU all-time home run record.

Novak homered on the first pitch of Game 1 for her 16th career homer to give CMU a lead that would be enough, as CMU went onto win 3-0. It won the second game 4-3 to complete the sweep of the Zips.

“I didn’t even know until my teammates told me,” said Novak about breaking the record. “It’s a great accomplishment for me. I’m glad that I was able to do it.”

Seddon set the tone early from the circle for the Chippewas. She threw her third complete game shutout, giving up five hits with four strikeouts and one walk.

Seddon said she was able to relax after Novak’s home run in the first inning.

“It definitely helps when your hitters are on,” she said. “When (Christina) hit that first-pitch home run, it was definitely a confidence booster.”

Coach Margo Jonker said she was pleased with both Seddon and freshman pitcher Kara Dornbos, who got the win in Game 2. She said her team got back to playing its brand of softball.

“We got two wins and we’re over .500 in the league. That’s a bonus,” she said. “Both pitchers did a better job of throwing strikes and not putting people on.”

Coldren stepped up offensively in Game 1 going 3-for-3 and scoring two runs. She was also valuable defensively with several assists on the infield.

Dornbos had a no-hitter going into the fourth inning in Game 2. She struggled in the sixth, giving up three runs, but rebounded to get the complete-game win.

“I told her (to) use her legs and go at the batters,” Jonker said. “We’ve been there a lot before. Just trust yourself, get it done, and throw your pitches.”

CMU got RBIs from Gilson, Klosterman and senior Katie Greenman in Game 2 to help get a 4-3 victory.