Basketball camp at Morey Courts teaches kids fundamentals

basketballcamp-jwm-06

Bob Sherlock wants to use basketball to make a difference in children's lives.

Sherlock is a basketball trainer at Morey Courts Recreation Center, 5175 E. Remus Road, where he is coaching 26 third to fifth graders at a youth basketball camp this week.

“It’s definitely a fun group,” Sherlock said. “When I get around younger kids, I realize how fortunate I was to be around some very good basketball players growing up in Albany, New York many years ago that shared their knowledge with me.”

The week-long sports camp lasts two hours a day and consists of Sherlock training the youths in ball handling, footwork and shooting and dribbling techniques.

The program is one of about 15 to 20 that Morey Courts hosts a year, Sherlock said.

Reed City resident Michael Rushford came to watch his 10-year-old daughter Sidni work on her basketball skills.

Rushford said Sidni has been playing for three years and keeps getting better and better.

He said they have been coming to Morey Courts for more than two years.

“I think she likes the fact that she can play with her friends and she’s pretty decent at it,” he said.

Rushford said the coaches do an outstanding job relating information to the youngsters.

Sherlock divided the kids into two lines and stood in the middle to demonstrate dribbling for one of the camp’s exercises.

He had the children practice in different positions, switching back and forth.

Sherlock was especially impressed with 9-year-old Brendan Zelen’s dribbling skills and had the entire group watch him.

“I love basketball because you can shoot, you can pass and it’s just so much fun,” Zelen said. “It makes me stronger and stronger every day.”

Third-grader Abby Brown said basketball is her favorite sport.

“I think it’s really fun,” Brown said.

Terese Fortino had the chance to see her 7-year-old son John play the sport for the first time.

“He expressed an interest in basketball, so I signed him up,” Fortino said. “It seems like he enjoys it.”

Sherlock coached Division III Men’s Basketball for 12 years in New England. He coached two Division III All-American players and his teams reached the New England NAIA Final Four five times.

Sherlock said Morey Courts will host an instructional league with as many as 230 third-to-sixth graders from mid-November to mid-January.