Akron sweeps CMU baseball in weekend series

d-cmuvakbaseball-photo-5-3-24-03
Senior Jacob Donahue slides back to first after attempting to steal second against the University of Akron during the third inning, Friday, May 3, in Keilitz Field at Theunissen Stadium.

Central Michigan baseball hosted Akron in a Mid-American Conference series over the weekend. After a close game one, CMU could not keep up with the Zips, resulting in a series sweep for the Chippewas.

CMU now falls to 15-32 on the season with just under 10 games to play on the season.

Game One

CMU got out to a quick start. Senior outfielder Jacob Donahue led off the game with a single and, two batters later, freshman second basemen Drew Loikits doubled, scoring Donahue from first.

After Akron scored two in the second to take the lead, CMU evened the game in the third. Senior outfielder Marquis Jackson doubled, tying the game at two.

Loikits was the next batter up and singled; Jackson tried to score on the play but was thrown out at home. Senior third basemen Ely Stuart answered with a two-run homerun, giving the Chippewas a 4-2 lead.

That was the last offense CMU would generate in the matchup. Akron would take the lead in the next two innings and add two more runs throughout the game to take the 7-4 win.

Game Two

Game two was all Akron from the jump. After a scoreless first inning for both sides the Zips got their first five batters on base in the second, all by either walk or hit-by-pitch. They put four runs on the board.

The fourth was much of the same, with Akron putting its first four runners on base. The inning wrapped with another four spot, making the score 8-0 Akron.

The Zips would score one more in the seventh, extending the lead to 9-0. CMU finally got on the board in the eighth, when senior Nick Dardas hit a solo shot making the score 9-1. 

Game Three

In the final game of the series, Akron jumped out to a 5-0 lead off of three RBIs and a two-run homer.

After five scoreless innings, The Zips extended their lead to eight. The Chippewas finally got on the board in a big way in the bottom of the seventh. CMU scored five runs that inning to cut the deficit to three.

The last two innings went scoreless and the game ended with a score of 8-5.

Central Michigan goes on the road this Tuesday to take on the Michigan Wolverines in Ann Arbor. The game starts at 4 p.m.