Campus Conservatives inspired necessary dialogue on campus.

The dissolution of Campus Conservatives as a registered student organization is a loss for the political community at Central Michigan University.

Often an outspoken and controversial group, they provided a voice and a sense of togetherness for individuals whose views did not fall in line with the College Republicans or College Democrats.

Manistee senior Rebecca Hodson, who was elected president of Campus Conservatives before the group dissolved, said starting a new, similar RSO was in the works. Such a group that continued many of the activities of Campus Conservatives would be valuable to the campus.

Although often under fire, Campus Conservatives and its actions have spurred much discussion about a number of political and social topics on campus and in the community. They have brought speakers such as news anchor John Stossel and activist David Horowitz to campus, whose views may otherwise not have been heard at this university.

Perhaps most importantly, they have kept the administration, students and other members of the CMU community on their toes.

Members and former members of the group have offered varied and conflicting accounts of how and why the group was dissolved.

This “he-said, she-said” end to the organization may be an ugly, unfortunate way for the group to end.

However, being forced to form a new group may be the best thing that could happen for the people who hope to be a part of a conservative group on campus. Getting away from the name “Campus Conservatives,” which has become oft-stigmatized, may prove advantageous for whatever future group may emerge.

An important part of college is being exposed to other views, beliefs, and challenging popular opinion and questioning whether mainstream beliefs are worth conforming to. Alternative political groups, whether they are right-wing or left, provides this by challenging the views of people in the community, whether they like it or not.

Above all, free speech must be protected. If the members of this group want to express their views, that eclipses whether or not their views are considered unpopular or offensive.