Field hockey looks at No. 4 MAC ranking as motivation

The preseason coaches’ poll released Monday wasn’t much of a surprise to CMU field hockey head coach Cristy Freese.

The Chippewas were picked to finish fourth in the Mid-American Conference for the third consecutive year.

“(Fourth) is probably, if you look at the roster and team experience, where I expected,” Freese said. “I think the poll was pretty accurate of the preseason.”

CMU finished the 2009 season 8-13, placing fourth in the MAC with a 4-6 conference record.

Forward Kelly Jordan and goalie Melinda Curran are just two of nine players not returning to the field this year. Jordan led the team offensively with a career-high 35 points (13 goals, nine assists) and Curran was named All-MAC goalkeeper after winning eight games while posting a 1.92 goals against average.

Freese expects her young team to use the prediction as motivation to defy preseason expectations.

Returning sophomore Erin Dye, who finished second on the team in points during her first season, netting five goals and adding three assists, will attempt to take Jordan’s place offensively with the help of junior Paulina Lee and freshman Bailey McKeon.

“You know she’s a sophomore, so she’s still young but she got a lot of good experience and she’s the kind of player that can be in the upper group,” Freese said. “You also don’t want to rely on one player. Where the other goals come from we’ve got some young talented freshmen but we still need our older kids to step up.”

Returning seniors Amanda von Leer and Kim Sihota will see heavy playing time in the backfield, along with junior Brooke Sihota.

The goaltending position has yet to be filled, though there’s been early promise following the team’s scrimmages over the weekend. Junior Anastasia Netto and freshman Carissa Flocken each saw time between the pipes and looked strong as the team gained a pair of victories.

Rest of MAC

Kent State, voted to place first in the MAC, is led by 2009 MAC Player of the Year Rachel Miller, who scored 10 goals and added 14 assists for the Golden Flashes.

With one less vote, second-place Miami will return the majority of its starters from the 2009 campaign, including forwards Mary Hull, Kate Snyder and Jackie Niguyen, who combined for 31 goals.

After winning the MAC four times over the past five years, Ohio was voted third.

Although OU lost its top two scorers, it welcomes back its goaltending combo of Courtney Seiders and Jen McGill, who combined for a MAC-high six shutouts in 2009.

Ball State and Missouri State rounded out the poll as the fourth and fifth place teams.

“It’s the coach’s job to prepare the team for every game and we’ve got to work on playing the same game, whether it’s against a top level team or someone below us,” Freese said.