CMU scores three consecutive goals, beats Providence in OT

Most athletes will agree that you don’t forget your first goal. It's safe to say Bailey McKeon will not forget hers.

McKeon, a freshman, scored the game-winning overtime goal Saturday as the Central Michigan women's field hockey team came from behind to beat Providence 3-2 at the CMU Field Hockey Complex.

Sprinting down the sideline, fighting to beat out the Providence defender, Paulina Lee got her stick on the ball first and sent it to the front of the goal, where McKeon capitalized and gave the Chippewas their first win of the season.

"It was really exciting," Lee said. "We got momentum coming up the field and I just knew I had to out sprint her and pass it in to Bailey, and she scored. It was a great end to overtime and a hard played game for both teams."

Providence opened the scoring in the first half with a goal by Kasey Bulman, her first of the season.

Junior goaltender Anastasia Netto, who earned her first career win, was challenged early. Providence forward Ashlyn Hudson got her stick on a rebound from a penalty corner shot in the 43rd minute, giving the Friars a 2-0 lead.

Netto, however, proved to be solid in goal for the rest of the game. She finished with eight saves and proved to be important in giving CMU an opportunity to come back in the second half.

"I thought Anna played very well," Freese said. "I know Providence put in two goals, but we have to work on our defensive rebounding control."

The Chippewas came out early in the second half shooting, but were unable to find the back of net. With 13:58 remaining in the second half and CMU down a pair of goals, CMU head coach Cristy Freese called a timeout.

Less than a minute later, the Chippewas got on the board with a goal from freshman Juliana Makrinos. Nine minutes later, Makrinos struck again, scoring off a penalty corner, to tie the game at 2.

"We played really well and we were all really excited to come out for our home opener,” Lee said. “We excelled on everything we practiced for the past two weeks."

The momentum carried over into overtime as McKeon scored 1:15 into the extra frame to secure the win.

The team travels to Ann Arbor to play Michigan at 1 p.m. Sunday. The Wolverines are also coming off their first win of the season in late-game fashion, beating No. 14 James Madison on Friday.

“I think (momentum) certainly plays a roll for us," Freese said. "To come back like we did should give us confidence for this game"