LETTER: Libertarian candidate is what West Michigan needs in state senate

I am a senior at Central Michigan University and an intern for Josh Lillie, Libertarian candidate for Michigan’s 33rd Senate Seat, and the Libertarian Party of West Michigan in general.

On behalf of Josh, I wish to share with my fellow students, the professors, other faculty of Central Michigan University and the general public of Mount Pleasant and Isabella County why I believe Josh is an excellent choice to represent the people of Michigan’s 33rd Senate District.

First, Josh Lillie is not a lawyer, politician or big business owner; he has nothing to gain from or hand out in special favors from his election. Josh does not come from a background of millions or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in income or assets. Rather, Josh was a sheet metal worker attempting to finding employment when and where available to assist his family in making ends meet. Recently, after 15 years as a sheet metal worker, the economy has forced him to change jobs and is now an AV Technician. He is like you and I — he knows that he must listen to people like us. For this reason he can relate to the common citizen and can see things from a simple, logical, and pure angle.

Second, Josh is not subject to partisan politics. As a Libertarian, Josh is an outsider to the politicking of the two major parties. He distances himself from their underhanded tactics and utter disregard for the general public’s voice. Further, Josh even opposes his own party’s standing on certain issues that he believes are contradictory to liberty. Josh is a philosophically minded individual; he compares all issues that come before him to the philosophy of liberty and makes a judgment from there.

Justin Robillard

Whitehall senior