On-campus graduate housing on north campus plans in development

Plans to construct additional graduate student housing on Central Michigan University’s north campus have emerged as a serious possibility.

CMU is in the early stages of selecting an architect to help design the new housing. Trustees were briefed on the project at Thursday’s meeting, but a proposal to move forward with it will likely not take place until December’s meeting, said John Fisher, associate vice president of Residences and Auxiliary Services.

He said the housing will possibly be located on the north side of parking lot 8, along Bellows Street.

“It will probably be in the 100-unit range,” Fisher said. “Depending on the demand, it would be open to all grad students.”

Early plans call for units consisting of one, two or four bedrooms with full kitchens, he said.

Until CMU hires an architect and determines an exact location, there will not be an estimate of the cost or size of the structure, Fisher said.

Reasons for such a project include the demolition of several units of Washington Apartments in order to make room for the Education and Human Services Building.

“We lost eight units,” said University President George Ross. “There is a shortage of graduate student housing.”

Residence Life and Facilities Management are working on the project’s development. The idea has been discussed among university officials for the past few years, Fisher said.

Ross also pointed to the summer of 2012, when the College of Medicine’s inaugral class is expected to begin coursework. The college will add 100 new students to campus enrollment.

Ross said there are several options on north campus that are being looked at for housing, but the planning process is still in its very preliminary stages.

“We needed to advise our board that it was under consideration and get their support to pursue the plan,” he said.

There are 1,922 graduate students enrolled at CMU this semester, according to statistics recently released by the College of Graduate Studies.