LETTERS: Remembering a lost student; plastic water bottles more damaging than convenient

To the friends and family of Sarina Seger:

As one of Sarina’s professors, I was deeply saddened to hear the news of her death. All of us in ENG 175 will miss her intelligence, ready smile and contributions in class. Sarina was well on her way to the successful completion of my course, and I have no doubt the same is true for her other classes.

My thoughts are with all of her friends and her family during this difficult time.

Elizabeth Berriman

English professor

I just wanted to bring to your attention the issues our nation faces due to bottled water.

“How could bottled water be bad for us or our nation?” you might ask. That is where the problems begin.

You see, the process required to produce, ship, and distribute bottled water is a process demanding a large quantity of oil and water. Large quantities of oil are needed to make the bottles, along with the gas needed to ship and distribute the bottles and the water. Huge sums of water are extracted from local taps in order to meet the status quo, often causing problems with local communities’ water use.

To make matters worse, the bottled water may be even more polluted then any local tap water. Why would people spend so much money on low-quality water when they can get better water from their local tap?

Not to mention the extensive, long-term pollution the plastic bottles can cause if they are not recycled properly.

Please take a stand against this issue.

Thirsty? Grab a cup or even a reusable bottle and fill it up with your local water source (such as a water fountain or a sink). Do not give in to this national craze, or in this case, a national epidemic.

Daniel Breitenbach

White Lake sophomore