Register to vote in November elections

Editor’s note: To send a letter to the editor, e-mail voices@cm-life

To members of the CMU student community,

You will have the opportunity to exercise your fundamental right and freedom as an American citizen when you choose to vote in the upcoming election Tuesday, Nov. 2.

United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt affirmed it best years ago when he stated, “Nobody will ever deprive the American people of the right to vote except the American people themselves, and the only way they could do this is by not voting.”

Central Michigan University is committed to helping students like you develop, not only

academically, but also as leaders and active participants in the community. One of the most important ways you can contribute to your community is to vote.

Voting is a cornerstone of our nation’s democratic process, and I strongly encourage you to proudly practice your civic duty and responsibility in this election that will decide the next governor in our state of Michigan.

You have until Monday, Oct. 4, to register to vote in this important election, which also will include various state and national congressional races as well as local ballot issues.

After confirming you are registered to vote (either in person or via absentee ballot), I urge you to take the time to research and become knowledgeable on the various races and local issues.

To help you prepare for the election, the CMU Center for Professional and Personal Ethics and the Dean of Students have combined efforts to develop a valuable online resource at cmuvote.cmich.edu. Here you will discover detailed voter registration information as well as election and candidate background.

Whether this is your first election or one of many, I hope you will respect this valuable freedom so many men and women have fought to defend and make your voice heard on Nov. 2.

E. Gary Shapiro, Ph.D.

CMU Executive Vice President/Provost