Sigma Chi auctions dates to fundraise for cancer research as part of Derby Days

pc_dateauction_02
Paige Calamari/Staff Photographer Harrison Township junior Kyle Myslakowski sings along to a Backstreet Boy's song during the Sigma Chi date auction Thursday night at The Pub. The date auction was held as part of Derby Days.

Guys standing on the auction block before dozens of screaming sorority girls with fistfuls of money?

Must be Derby Days.

Sigma Chi’s annual weeklong philanthropy initiative has been hosted on CMU’s campus since the 1960s.

Dan Grosskopf helped plan and organize almost every event during the week of events. The Bay City senior thought Derby Days was a success once again.

“We’ll probably raise around $2,000 tonight and overall we have been able to raise around $14,000,” he said.

Every night of the week, events are held aimed at raising money while having fun. The winning sorority teams are awarded points toward the overall standings and the team with the most points at the end of the week is crowned Derby Days Champion.

Thursday night was date auction night at The Pub, 106 Court St. Each brother was auctioned off to the highest bidding sorority.

The brothers were then the sororities’ to keep until midnight or later.

Northville junior Jeremy Minniear said he was a veteran on the auction block.

“This is my fourth time doing it, but I’m still a little nervous,” Minniear said. “It just gets awkward standing on the stand, but I usually don’t have to do anything too crazy, just hang out with the girls that buy me.”

He said he was happy to be auctioned.

“It’s for a good cause and it feels good to feel wanted,” he said jokingly.

Davison junior Monica Zbiciak was excited to begin the bidding.

“We brought a lot of money tonight,” she said. “There is going to be a lot of screaming and it gets pretty intense when bidding,”

All of the money will be donated to the Huntsman Cancer Institute, which was founded by Sigma Chi member Jon M. Huntsman Sr.

“Last night was our derby queen pageant, held at the Broadway Theater,” Grosskopf said. “We had members of the CMU staff judge and we were able to fill the theater with over 400 people in attendance.”