Applications due March 31 for $1,000 CHSBS scholarship to one student

The College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences announced a new $1,000 scholarship opportunity Wednesday.

The Honorable Fred M. and Lynne M. Mester Family Endowment will provide the funds to one full-time undergraduate student with a major or minor in certain departments, including English language and literature, political science, military science, anthropology, sociology and social work.

The deadline to apply for the scholarship is March 31.

“We’re honored to have scholarships in our college that give opportunities for students to seek out additional financial aid,” said Sarah Buckley, coordinator of Marketing and Events for CHSBS.

Commerce Township sophomore Drew Prueter said he plans to apply for the scholarship.

“I’m in ROTC now and we’re usually not eligible for a lot of financial aid,” he said. “I was reading about the scholarship and it said that we would actually be eligible for that, so that would definitely be something to look into.”

Prueter also said his interest in the man behind the scholarship piqued his interest.

“Judge Mester was a judge at Oakland County Circuit Court which is where I’m from,” Prueter said. “He was also a captain in the United States Army, which I thought was pretty cool too.”

Students participating in the scholarship will be required to type a one- to two-page essay describing the discipline in CHSBS they are planning to major in and why. Applicants must give a description of their community service experience and why they deserve to win the scholarship. Scholarship participants will need to provide two letters of recommendation and have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

Allendale senior Alicia Cummings said she will not apply for the scholarship since she is close to graduating, but she encourages anyone within the departments to apply.

“I think it’s good that CMU is offering more scholarships to the political science department,” Cummings said. “I think anyone applying for the scholarship would definitely have a good chance of receiving it.”