Reign of Rowdie: Busy life of the man behind Chippewa Basketball's mascot

rowdierevealed
Mount Pleasant resident Josh Merryman gets into character as CMU’s basketball mascot Rowdie during a double-header for the men’s and women’s teams in mid-February. (Jake May/Photo Editor)

One moment Josh Merryman is dancing with the cheer team on the sidelines and the next he’s holding his oversized cardboard phone to a spectator’s ear, urging them to answer it.

Merryman, a Mount Pleasant resident, is the guy walking on his hands, tossing tightly wrapped T-shirts into the crowd and riding an unusually small tricycle onto the court of McGuirk Arena during basketball games.

This middle school physical education teacher and father of two, ages nine and five, performs as Rowdie — Central Michigan University’s basketball mascot.

At first the opportunity came as just a substitute for the previous mascot, and then turned to a full-time commitment.

“It wasn’t really my intention to do this (full time),” Merryman said. “I wanted to do it on the side.”

After the first couple of games as a substitute for Rowdie, the other man stepped down, leaving Merryman at the reigns.

The costume is a three-part suit from head to toe. Merryman wears gloves and cartoonish shoes to cover up any visible skin — and trap in any heat. A large basketball-shaped head with a bike helmet underneath tops it off.

“I don’t like it when fans are messing with you and hitting you in the head,” Merryman said. “The helmet goes back and forth and there’s hardly any cushioning for my head.”

Aaron Hotelling, a CMU alumnus from Gaylord, had a picture taken with Rowdie during the game with his son, Ian.

“I’m excited there’s at least a mascot,” Hotelling said. “I realize we can’t have someone out wearing a headdress.”

Several students appreciated his ability to cover almost every region of the arena with a cheering fan.

“He’s been around everywhere,” said Waterford junior Meagan Mosakoski. “At the Tigers game you can’t find the mascot anywhere.”

Merryman is also interested in work at the next level, whether as a mascot for a pro- or minor-league team. He has even made friendships with the Grand Rapids Griffins', Detroit Pistons' and Cleveland Cavaliers’ mascots through work at charity events.

The mascot for the Griffins was an old co-worker of his which helped push him toward assuming the Rowdie persona, Merryman said.

From conditioning students in the gym, to putting his kids to bed and introducing both the men’s and women’s basketball teams, Merryman manages it all.

“I really enjoy interacting with the fans,” Merryman said. “If they’re not happy, then I change what I do.”