Central Michigan women's track and field finishes fourth in Toledo

The Central Michigan track and field teams had to deal with every kind of weather imaginable at the Toledo Collegiate Challenge.

From sun to snow, the men's team finished in a close fourth behind fellow Mid-American Conference teams Eastern Michigan, Buffalo and Bowling Green.

“We did fairly well considering we didn’t have any distance runners at all,” said track and field director Willie Randolph. “We were pretty pleased with how the meet turned out. We accomplished what we wanted to do, and that was to focus on taking care of business, so we were very productive.”

The women had 28 Top-10 finishes at the meet, 17 top-five finishes and two winners.

Senior Mykal Imbrock was one of those 17 with a second place finish in the hammer throw, tossing 55.12 meters.

Fellow senior Katie Christensen came in 10th with a toss of 44.44 meters. Christensen finished fifth in the discus with a throw of 41.76 meters, while Imbrock came in seventh in the shot put with a throw of 12.56 meters.

The team of freshmen Samantha Stein and Megan Heffner both placed second in the high jump with leaps of 1.60 meters.

Heffner also had success in the 400-meter hurdle, coming in second with a time of 1:03.96. Senior Allie Sissions finished right behind her with a time of 1:04.15. Sissions was also a part of the 4x400-meter relay that finished second with juniors Christina Farrow, Stephanie Hurley and freshmen Shawntoreah Turk.

“Right before the 400-meter hurdles it started raining," Heffner said. "The hardest part was running and trying to keep your eyes open with the raining hitting your eyes."

Turk also finished fifth in the 400-meter run two places behind fellow freshmen Kelsey Ritter who came in third at 57.94 seconds.

The women dominated the 100-meter hurdles event having four ladies finishing in the top eight. Senior Jordan Dunn placed second while junior Dierra Riley finished third, senior Brittnee Shreve came in fifth and freshmen Kirlene Roberts finished seventh.

Shreve, Roberts, Dunn and Riley teamed up to take first place in the 4x100-meter relay with a time of 46.09.

Sophomore Tamica Harbour was the other athlete to finish first, recording a time of 15.34 and edging out teammate Emily Deinhart, who finished second with 15.36.

In the 800-meter, junior Charnele Lyons finished fifth with a time of 2:17.16, and senior Kylee Kubacki ran for the first time since cross-country season and finished third in the 1500-meter run with a time of 4:37.87.

There were a lot of athletes who stood out this weekend and a couple that came to mind for Randolph.

“Mykal Imbrock had a really good throw, Jordan Dunn ran a good lap in the 4x100-meter relay (and) Tamica Harbour running into hard winds and winning,” Randolph said. “Another good point was Kylee Kubacki, who hasn’t run in four months and ran a personal best in the 1500-meter relay.”

“The team did pretty good and a lot people had really good performances,” Heffner added.