'Double Standards' discussion stirs controversy among peers

Willis junior Jenee Graham thinks the penis might equal power when it comes to commanding respect in the workplace.

“Guys either right or wrong get that level of respect just because they have a penis,” Graham said. “But females, they have to demand respect. That is the main difference.”

The differences between men and women’s social standards were discussed Thursday evening during the “Double Standards Panel Discussion” in Anspach 155. About 30 students attended this event put on by The Organization For Black Unity at Central Michigan University.

The topics discussed many double standards for men and women in society today with a four-person panel giving their opinions on the matter. During the discussion, video clips and pictures were shown in between.

Graham, the host, said this event is important because there is a need to try to break down the stereotypes that are holding people back.

“How we are socialized holds people back,” she said.

Graham added that stereotypes apply to men also when society deems them as "sissies" because they are doing things other than the norm.

One of the topics addressed is being a stay-at-home dad while the mother works.

Panelist and Hamtramck freshman Arnela Bogdanic said when her family first came to America, her father raised her and her siblings for a while when her mother worked.

“But now both my parents work,” she said.

Bogdanic also added that in modern society it may be more feasible for at least one parent to stay at home and a father can be just as nurturing and caring as a mother would.

Graham asked the audience why society says it is OK for the role of a stay-at-home parent to always be the mother and not the father.

“Why don’t we say, 'Oh she don’t have a job, she isn’t trying to work?’" she said.

Another discussion brought up was sexuality and promiscuity. Panelist and Detroit senior Troy Hoskins said if women are very sexually active, that image is not a positive one.

“They are looked at negatively because they are not being like a lady,” he said.

On the other hand panelist and Detroit junior Marcus McKinney said he doesn’t want his son to be 18 and still be a virgin.

“When it all boils down to it, it’s still more of an ego thing,” McKinney said. “If you have a daughter, you would want your daughter to stay a virgin until she is married. But a man wouldn’t want his son to be a virgin until he gets married."

Novi senior Alex Newell has a different viewpoint.

“Whether or not I have a girl or a boy, with all of these STDs (and easy ability of getting pregnant) I would want my children to stay as celibate as possible,” Newell said.” Think about all the crazy stuff that is around. Having sex is definitely a risk even with condoms"