EMU 5, CMU 4: Softball lets lead slip away late

kt_saturdayball_02
Kaitlin Thoresen Senior first baseman Amanda Klosterman bats during the game against EMU Saturday afternoon at Margo Jonker Stadium.

Leading 4-1, the CMU softball gave up two home runs in the sixth inning and allowed Eastern Michigan to come from behind and win 5-4 Saturday at Margo Jonker Stadium.

“We didn’t play well,” said CMU head coach Margo Jonker. “I was feeling good when we were up 4-1, but we cannot give up a lead like that in one inning. It’s ridiculous.”

The Eagles scored three runs in the sixth inning, on a pair of home runs from Sarah Gerber and Kayla Kostirch, and added another in the seventh to get their first lead since the first inning.

Two solo home runs from seniors Amanda Patrick and Kari Seddon helped build an early lead, while Seddon drove in another run in the fifth to put the Chippewas up 4-1.

After that the mistakes aided an EMU comeback.

“We made defensive mistakes,” Jonker said. “We made base running mistakes. We threw the ball too much.”

The loss was only CMU's second at home this season.

“We did not hustle,” Jonker said. “A couple people in particular did not hustle.”

Dornbos picked up the loss after walking two and allowing one to score in her only inning of relief. Seddon started the game, pitching six innings and allowed four runs.

The loss puts CMU at 25-18 and 9-8 in the Mid-American Conference. To qualify for the MAC tournament, a team must finish in the top two of their division or top four teams after that.

The teams will meet again at 1 p.m. Sunday at Margo Jonker Stadium.

“We got to win,” Jonker said. “Without winning we’re not even going to get into the tournament. We better have more guts then that when we come out tomorrow.

"(We have to) be ready to play 100 percent - we were not tough enough today.”