DECA releases bear mascot on campus to recruit members, assist with philanthropic activities

bw_decabear01
Bethany Walter/Staff Photographer Dearborn junior Cody Detary lets DECA bear study from his book at a picnic table by Warriner hall on Monday afternoon. "This is the most random thing that has happened to me today." said Detary.

A bear is roaming the campus of Central Michigan University, but there is no need for alarm.

The bear, aptly named Deca bear, is a mascot for CMU’s chapter of DECA, a business-oriented registered student organization, and his goal is to help recruit new members to DECA and assist the group in philanthropic activities throughout this week.

Hartland junior Ryan Takacs, who is also on the DECA board, accompanied Deca Bear on his campus visit.

"We don't ever let him go alone," Takacs said. "We don't let the bear talk because we've given him sort of a Mickey Mouse theme. My job is to answer any questions the students may have when I walk with him."

Hartland senior and president of CMU’s chapter of DECA, Brent Zuber came up with the idea of using a mascot.

“When I started DECA I tried to think of ways to promote DECA on campus," Zuber said. "My roommate and I were talking about how funny it would be if we saw a student wearing a bear outfit to class and doing university activities."

The mascot is not simply a person dressed in a bear suit, but has own identity complete with a Facebook page. Deca Bear enjoys volunteer work, particularly with the Isabella County Animal Shelter.

“We brought him on campus and people responded very positively," said Milford junior and DECA Public Relations Representative Lauren Schneider. "I think he'll have a presence in the community. Everyone loves him — we took him to Wares Fair and many people wanted to take pictures with him.”

DECA's main focus is competitions against other universities at the state and national levels in different areas of focus. DECA’s philanthropic activities include community service and helping other RSO’s with funding for Student Government Association.

DECA plans to offer students networking opportunities, resume and career workshops, and the opportunity to travel in Michigan and throughout the country.

DECA’s first informational meeting will take place at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in Pearce Hall room 127.