CBA named one of Princeton Review's top business schools, students credit faculty

Central Michigan University's College of Business Administration is one of the top 294 business schools in the world according to the Princeton Review.

The rankings, published in “The Best 294 Business Schools, 2012 Edition,” were based on more than 19,000 student interviews conducted by the Princeton Review.

Charles Crespy, CBA dean, said the students’ positive ratings had to do with how much they enjoyed the college experience and how much they gained from it.

“What separates us (from other schools) is faculty attention to students,” Crespy said. “We don’t have classes of 300 or 400 students. You’re not just an anonymous voice in the back.”

Crespy said the program’s faculty is dedicated to students’ success.

“Our students view the faculty as partners in their education, not just some professor at the front of the room,” he said. “They try hard to help students get a special experience.”

CBA Senior Associate Dean Dan Vetter said one of the factors that led students to rate the program highly is the program's high placement of students in internships and jobs.

“Many (faculty) have very strong connections with individuals in the field, which they maintain for the sake of the students,” Vetter said.

Clarkston senior and international business major Erika Lafnear said her professors in CBA are more accessible to students than professors in other departments.

“The professors I’ve had have been super dedicated,” Lafnear said. “They have more extensive office hours and will make appointments to help you with anything (regarding) the class.”

Lafnear said her professors also have real-world experience to share with students.

“Most of them are pretty qualified," she said. "They have actual experience in the field and have held jobs in the industry."

Students surveyed by the Princeton Review said the “faculty is the greatest strength” at the college, is “down-to-earth and easy to talk to” and “truly want what’s best for the student,” according to the report.

The list included the top 10 ranked schools in each of 12 categories, including “best professors,” “best administered” and “best classroom experiences.” CBA was not included in these lists. The main list was organized in alphabetical order.

Other Michigan schools to make the list included Eastern Michigan University, Grand Valley State University, University of Michigan and Wayne State University.

Michigan State University told the Grand Rapids Press that the university does not participate in the ranking process Princeton Review used to compile the list. Ohio State University was the highest ranked of the 61 Midwestern schools on the list.

“The Best 294 Business Schools, 2012 Edition” is available at princetonreview.com for $22.99 and features two pages of information on each featured school.