WITH VIDEO: Fraternity members compete for Mr. PhiSignificant, fundraise for Phi Sigma Sigma Foundation

vgz_phisignificant_03
Victoria Zegler/Staff Photographer Holt senior Ryan Collins performs a mash-up of the Black Keys and Adele during Phi Sigma Sigma’s “Mr. PhiSignificant” pagaent Tuesday night at the Broadway Theatre, 216 E. Broadway Street. Collins took last year’s crown after being the runner-up in 2009.

PhiSignificant Pageant from CMLifeVideo on Vimeo.

Fourteen fraternity members showcased their talents, charisma and body in an attempt to win the title of Mr. PhiSignificant.

About 110 people gathered to support the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority in their tenth annual Mr. PhiSignificant Pageant Tuesday night at Broadway Theatre, 216 E. Broadway St.

Contestants competed through three different rounds consisting of an introduction in toga attire, a talent portion and a question and answer session. They were judged by a panel as well as by audience members who voted by donating money to their favorite contestant’s jar.

Coordinator of Mr. PhiSignificant, Allison Pavloff, said the event went as planned and will know the total amount raised by Sunday.

“It went very smoothly,” the Rochester Hills junior said. “I had a great committee for my first planned event, and everyone seemed to have enjoyed the night. Plus, it goes toward a great cause.”

All proceeds will go to the Phi Sigma Sigma Foundation, whose main philanthropy is the National Kidney Foundation. Pavloff said the Central Michigan chapter raises the most money every year out of any Phi Sigma Sigma chapter in the country.

There were a couple guest appearances during transitions in the show.

Central Michigan University Fish N Chips A Capella group performed three songs, including a remix to Montell Jordan’s “This Is How We do It.” 2009

Mr. PhiSignificant winner, Bad Axe senior Kyle Post, also performed a vocal piece.

The talent competition consisted of multiple singing and instrumental acts. There was also an interactive trumpet performance to LMFAO’s “Party Rock Anthemn,” a stand-up act and the display of cheer stunt.

Center Line junior Lael Johnson played two pieces on the piano and encouraged the audience to sing along to Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believing.”

“We’re just a bunch of guys here trying to support a good cause,” Johnson said.

Milford senior Chase Houfek took third place and Troy sophomore Adam Cable was runner-up.

Derek Bartley was given a crown, robe and basket of gift cards after being announced 2011 Mr. PhiSignificant.

Bartley performed a scene from “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” as he lip synced “Twist and Shout” and danced through the isles. He said the attire is his Halloween costume and felt inspired to do it as his talent.

When asked what he would buy with a million dollars during the question and answer period, Barkley said “time.”

“This is all just really fun and exciting,” the Clawson sophomore said. “I’m glad I could come support the ladies of Phi Sigma Sigma and at the same time, represent my fraternity, Pi Kappa Phi.”