CBA dean says academic ranks in priority report ‘no surprise’

Editor’s note: This is the second story in a series about Academic Prioritization.

The College of Business Administration ranked as an overall favorable program in preliminary Academic Prioritization released Thursday.

Karl Smart, business information systems chairman, said the data was collected by forms filled out by the faculty and deans. The forms looked at programs’ demand, the student enrollments for the past five years, the role of the professors, the occupational projection and other qualifications.

Smart said he wrote the majority of the narratives that were submitted to Provost Gary Shapiro. Smart said no one has brought forward appeals to the findings.

“No one has voiced complaint,” Smart said. “The faculty were pleased with what the ratings were.”

The college designed a new international business and sustainable development minor and applied business practices minor.

Charles Crespy, CBA dean, said in an email prioritization was essentially developing a roadmap for the future of the programs.

In an email sent to his staff after the report was released, Crespy said the department had already done a respectable job redesigning their programs.

When it came time to prioritize, the faculty and staff were already ready to rank their programs, he said.

“There’s really no surprise,” Crespy said. “Most of the faculty in the programs that were likely to see some retrenchment were aware of that.”

Crespy said the college had a global business minor that became obsolete after the creation of a newer and more current international business and sustainable development minor. The new program helped students understand money as well as sustainable impact.

The new program was ranked a category 3 and the old was ranked a category 5.

It was a perfect example of why prioritization is needed, Crespy said.

“We have a program now that addresses issues that are important today that weren’t issues yesterday,” he said. “That’s probably the best example of what prioritization is about.” The operations management BS in BA major is ranked a 5, and will be relocated to another program.

It is one of the smallest majors in the college with 21 signed majors this fall, Shapiro wrote in the report.

“The curriculum has not been significantly revised for decades,” Shapiro said. “One of the four regular faculty will retire in 2012.”

The marketing BS in BA major with a retail strategy concentration is ranked a five as well.

It is a small program with little added value to students, Shapiro said, and the department lacks faculty expertise in this area.

The retail management major BS in BA also received a 5, and Shaprio said there was no need for the program.

“Retailing major provides little if any additional value for program graduates. Retailers hire from all majors,” he said.

The gaming and entertainment concentration of hospitality services administration BS in BA received a 5 since only 9 students selected the program in Spring 2011.

Many business students did not seem to notice the prioritization release.

“I hadn’t even heard about it,” said Canton junior Brad LaRose.

LaRose is studying accounting and said all he heard was the majority of the accounting staff were ready to retire.

Traverse City junior Jennifer Terbrack, also studying accounting, said she thinks prioritization was good because if professors are ready to retire, a new wave of younger professors could come in.

Terbrack, along with every CMU student, has the documents available to her online, but she said she has not looked at it.

“I got an email, but I didn’t really read it,” she said.