Shoot for Success aims to fund SMA professional development conferences

Students will shoot baskets in a 3-on-3 tournament Nov. 13 to support a conference for sports careers.

Students in physical education and sport instructor Scott Hirko’s PES 550: Sport Fundraising class are hosting Shooting for Success.

The basketball tournament will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Student Activity Center.

The goal of the fundraiser is to fund the Sport Management Association’s second Professional Development Conference, which Nathan Kopp described as being “aimed at students who wish to have a career in sports.”

Kopp is the assistant director at the Center for Global Sport Leadership at Central Michigan University.

“There are no other events like the Professional Development Conference at CMU,” Kopp said. “Many other premiere sports management programs across the country host similar events. The conference was something I created last year because I felt like there was a need and it would advance our program tremendously.”

Oxford senior Nicole Laidlaw, one of the PES 550 students, said the conference is a way for students to learn from professionals in the industry and network with them.

The sales pitch created by the students, provided by Hirko, states supporting the fundraiser “will help with the conference by also welcoming guests from the sports industry to share their knowledge and experiences.”

As for the fundraiser itself, the tournament consists of all-male and all-female teams. These teams are separated by divisions based on age groups. The age groups are middle school, high school, college students and community members.

The games will be double elimination, and there will also be raffles to win great prizes.

Registration for the event is currently open. Check-in begins at 8:45 a.m. and the games begin at 10 a.m.