Club hockey splits series against Ferris State

Central Michigan club hockey split against Ferris State this weekend in a couple of the utmost physical battles thus far in the season.

It was a shootout on Friday night as the Chippewas won 7-6 in overtime at Ferris State.

CMU started out hot, going up early 3-1. Heading into the third period, the score was 5-3, with the Chippewas in control. The Chippewas scored first in the final period, but the Bulldogs struck back with three unanswered goals.

Heading into overtime, it was the Chippewas and sophomore Matt Cinader scoring his second of the night, with less than two minutes left in overtime.

“I got a good bounce and took a hard shot on net that found its way through to end the game,” Cinader said.

Ferris State won Saturday 3-2, holding off a late charge by the CMU at Isabella County Events Arena.

The Chippewas went into the second period of this one, ahead 2-1, but had a frustrating second period. On both sides, the penalties piled up and the referees were handing out warnings, topping off a heated weekend.

Ferris State was leading 3-2 late in the final period, forcing the  Chippewas pulled the goalie two times at the end.

With the Chippewa’s having extra-player advantages, they had a few chances to capitalize, but fell short in game two to the Bulldogs.

Head Coach Mike Willett said that the team went back to playing the kind of hockey they are accustomed to.

“We got back to the brand of hockey we want to play and are a few minor adjustments away from playing very good hockey,” Willett said, “I look forward to a tough second semeser where we will play three of the top-five teams (in the Central region).”

The Chippewas will now break for winter vacation and pick things back up with a weekend series at home against Robert Morris University, beginning Friday Jan. 6.