Increased estimates for CMED startup costs reflect teaching and research priorities

Provost Gary Shapiro said Central Michigan University increased the estimated startup cost for the College of Medicine because some assumptions about the project have changed over time.

Shapiro said in an email to the campus community Nov. 11 that CMU estimates the startup cost for CMED is “likely to exceed $30 million.” The university initially set aside $25 million over five years to fund CMED startup.

The initial vision for CMED emphasized only teaching issues, rather than research, Shapiro said. The estimates now include preparing excellent physicians, as well as engaging in high-quality research and clinical opportunities, he said.

The university also anticipates the need for an additional $3 million in continuing annual support for the medical program, he said in the release.

Shapiro said CMU does not tag dollars, so he does not know how much money from tuition has gone toward funding CMED. He said, however, tuition has not been increased because of CMED.

“Although we don’t tag dollars, we have not raised tuition to pay for the College of Medicine,” he said.

Shapiro said the projections were only projections.

He said CMU has been able to fund CMED through a variety of revenue sources and cost savings, including energy expenses.

CMU was fourth in the state for new freshmen before funding for CMED began, and it continues to be fourth in the state, Shapiro said. He said undergraduate enrollment has also increased because some students are attending CMU because they want to attend the new medical school.

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education visited campus Nov. 13 through 16 to decide if CMED will move toward earning academic accreditation.

Dr. Ernest Yoder, founding dean of CMED, said in an email the planning is inclusive of research and clinical services.

He said questions regarding the need for clinical and research programs were asked during the initial planning for CMED and reviewed in the context of LCME standards upon his arrival as CMED dean.

“LCME standards make clear the expectation that medical students must have the opportunity to participate in research,” he said. “Medical students are trained at clinical sites, and CMED must be in a position to assure that our students train in excellent, state-of-the-art clinical sites.”

After an initial email interview, follow-up questions about how much, if any, of the original estimated cost included research, and when they were aware extra funding would be necessary by Shapiro or Yoder were not answered.

"Unfortunately, both Shapiro and Yoder are unavailable due to meetings," Director of Public Relations Steve Smith said in an email. "It is my understanding that (Central Michigan Life) have already had an opportunity to speak with both of them regarding this story"