Dean of students has 'full confidence' in SGA president taking PR internship

The interim Dean of Students and director of Student Life at Central Michigan University says he does not consider Student Government Association President Vincent Cavataio's new public relations internship a conflict of interest.

Tony Voisin, named interim Dean of Students in August, said Thursday that he has "full confidence" in Cavataio's ability to juggle SGA president and a public relations internship.

"I think his schedule at this point very much will accommodate this type of experience for him," Voisin said. "It's right along the lines of his degree, and I don't know how much he sees it as a job."

Cavataio, a Shelby Township senior studying public affairs and integrated public relations, was recently hired for a public relations internship with CMU Facilities Management and will be tasked with promoting sustainable energy on campus.

On Tuesday, he told Central Michigan Life he has no plans to step down as SGA president and said he expects to have just as much time, if not more, for SGA. The internship is a part-time job -- he plans to work about 20 hours per week -- with pay, and he is only taking this internship and a seminar class. Cavataio declined to reveal his pay and Steve Lawrence, vice president of Facilities Management, has not returned an email and phone call requesting comment.

Voisin said the number one responsibility for students is academics and there is no university policy against an SGA president holding a job on or off campus.

"We've had SGA presidents who have been RAs before," Voisin said. "I would just advise a president make sure he or she can handle everything. He knows what's expected of him, and he handles it very well.

"You can't downplay the fact that he's in a semester he doesn't have any classes to deal with. It's something he can handle, and he'll do it well."

Spectrum President Justin Gawronski, a Macomb junior and SGA representative, said Cavataio proved himself last semester during the faculty contract dispute with CMU.

"I don't think his position will do anything to change that he stands up for students, as requested as SGA president," Gawronski said. "I don't see it as a conflict of interest. It's a good opportunity (for him), and I don't think he'll take any sort of side because of it"