YEAR IN REVIEW #15: Events Center kicks off first year with concerts from Ke$ha, LMFAO

a1-keshamain1
Perry Fish/Staff Photographer Ke$ha stares into the audience in a break between songs during her concert in McGurik Arena, Friday evening. The concert was one stop on her Get Sleazy Tour before traveling to Detroit, Mich.

In February Ke$ha performed the first major concert at the Central Michigan University Events Center that opened in December 2010, followed by LMFAO's October show.

On Feb. 25 the dance-pop star, best known for her songs “Tik Tok” and “We R Who We R,” brought her "Get Sleazy Tour" to McGuirk Arena. Her show, which cost about $50,000, brought about 4,800 people to the arena for the first big-name concert.

Fans started lining up within the doors of the Events Center before 5 p.m. for the sold-out show. By 6:30 p.m., when doors opened, the crowd was lined up out the doors nearly to the Student Activity Center.

She barreled through an hour-long set and a 15-minute encore which featured “We R Who We R” and a cover of the Beastie Boys’ “Fight for Your Right.”

Ke$ha repeatedly told the crowd that she “loved them” and that she “hoped they were here to party.”

LMFAO brought their electronic dance sound and Party Rock Crew entourage to the arena Oct. 26.

CMU Program Board, Hottest College Parties and Celebrity Events sponsored the event. Allen Park senior and Program Board President Paul Sullivan estimated the attendance at slightly less than 3,000. Attendees packed the bleachers and filled half of the floor space of the Events Center.

Sullivan said Program Board contributed $16,000 toward the cost of the event, while the undisclosed remaining costs were paid by Hottest College Parties and Celebrity Events.

LMFAO immediately made their stage presence known as crew members began tossing glowsticks and a blow-up zebra into the crowd. The antics didn’t stop after their entrance however, as the duo sprayed champagne on the audience and continuously changed outfits throughout the show.

The group performed alongside the Party Rock Crew, partially composed of members of Quest Crew, the dancing group that won the third season of MTV’s “America’s Best Dance Crew.” Members of the Party Rock Crew livened the atmosphere, coordinated dances with SkyBlu and Redfoo, and lifted each other off the ground periodically.

Party Rock Crew member Furr, also known as Shuffle Bot, danced while wearing a cardboard box with a robot face drawn on it for the majority of the show.