Pi Kappa Phi to hold 24-hour Stationary Bike-a-Thon Wednesday, Thursday

Three Pi Kappa Phi brothers will be hosting a 24-hour Stationary Bike-a-Thon from noon Wednesday to noon Thursday in front of the Bovee University Center.

The three will be taking turns on the stationary bike, donated by Skybox Studio at Morey Courts Recreation Center, 5175 E. Remus Road, for the full 24 hours to raise funds for a cross-country charity trip this summer, as well as raising awareness about those with disabilities.

The fraternity brothers partnered up with Best Buddies, an RSO on campus that builds friendships between community members and those with intellectual disabilities. Several Best Buddies members will be at the event.

“A lot of people can’t even get on a bike,” said Farmington Hills senior Spencer Haworth. “Us doing this will show them that we have the ability and that we are doing something good with it.”

Haworth and his two fraternity brothers, Rockwood sophomore Jeremy Osborne and Dearborn Heights junior Keith Jones, are preparing for this event by taking a cycling class and learning about the proper safety procedures so no one gets injured on their stationary journey.

“We are doing this to go have fun and do what we will be doing this summer in one day,” Osborne said.

There will also be a second stationary bike other people can sign up and ride along with the Pi Kappa Phi brothers to support the students in their journey.

“I am not doing this for me,” Osborne said. “I am doing this for you, to show you that you can succeed in so many things and that you are capable of greatness.”