Residence Life to hold paegant crowning most spirited, talented students

Students in residence halls will be able to compete head-to-head in three rounds for the title of best Central Michigan University spirit, best talent and CMU trivia.

At 7 p.m. March 28 in the Bovee University Center Rotunda, ResLife will be hosting a pageant.

“You can meet new people throughout the event,” said Rochester junior April Kretchman. “If you want to be more involved in CMU, this is the place to do it.”

Students can register with their Residence Hall Assembly representative and are expected to raise a $20 registration fee with help from their hall.

“It is important for students to participate to show their pride and win prizes for their hall,” said Bay City junior Emily Kent.

The residence hall with the highest attendance can win $100 for their hall and a prize package.

Participants will be able to engage in friendly competition and showcase their hall's talents, said Bad Axe senior Jennifer Morneau.

“I expect the highlights of the event will be first having residents interact with each other and compete to win a prize and second to do the silent auction so we can raise money for the Residence Hall Assembly,” Kretchman said.

Five students in RPL 430: Planning Recreation Programs and Events, a class in the event management minor, planned the event.

“If the event goes over well, then ResLife is looking into continuing this event plan as an annual event,” Morneau said.

Prizes will also be given out to audience members throughout the pageant.

“We will also have gift baskets and other packages put together from many local businesses and other sponsors to be won through silent auction and raffle methods,” Morneau said.

The proceeds will benefit Residence Hall Assembly’s National Conference philanthropy “Crayons to Calculators.”

“We also want to raise awareness and pride in residence life on campus,” Kent said.