Academic Senate continues suspension of work toward College of Medicine curriculum

asenate-02

A majority of the Academic Senate voted Tuesday to continue to suspend committee work toward developing the curriculum of the College of Medicine.

The A-Senate resolved to hold a motion to rescind the prohibiting resolution during their next meeting on April 17. If the motion is withheld at that time, curriculum work for CMED will continue.

The development of the curriculum was originally suspended after a resolution passed by the A-Senate on Nov. 1 stated “all work by, toward and on behalf of the College of Medicine pertaining to curriculum, non-curricular policies and procedures and faculty recruitment be suspended until such time as the above concerns have been addressed by and to the satisfaction of the Academic Senate.”

James Hill, professor of political science, said the Nov. 1 resolution means little if the Senate does not follow up on it.

"I wonder what the value of the resolution is if we continue as normal," Hill said. "If it's going to have an impact, it must extend to the committees."

University President George Ross initially questioned the A-Senate's inhibitions, asking "what info hasn't been provided?" and referred to the Liaison Committee on Medical Education accreditation granted earlier this year, in addition to financial reports released earlier this year.

Questions were then asked regarding the total cost of the project, and Ross said he would immediately release that information when it becomes available.

"When that information is revealed to me, I will present it to this body, the university and the state," Ross said.

Other business

Two academic programs, the nursing minor and humanities minor, were deleted from the university curriculum by a unanimous vote. Both will no longer be available for registration in the fall semester.

All the openings of the Senate nominating committee were filled by David Whale, professor of educational leadership and Lynn Dominguez, assistant professor of recreation parks and leisure services. One position is still open in the Faculty Senate, with Mark Lehman, professor of communication disorders, filling one of the two vacant senate seats.