CMED committee announces September building grand opening, shares progress

College of Medicine Dean Ernest Yoder and the Board of Trustees CMED committee announced a grand opening for Central Michigan University's on-campus medical building. will be held on Sep. 21 and 22.

The September grand opening was announced at Wednesday's Board of Trustees CMED committee meeting, held in the President's Conference Room in the Bovee University Center, along with an update on fundraising, faculty, accreditation and student admissions. The date of the September Board of Trustees meetings will be adjusted to correspond with the grand opening of the new medical school building.

Vice President of Development and External Relations Kathy Wilbur said fundraising efforts for CMED still remain at about 52 percent, totaling to $13,038,000 of the $25 million goal. The amount is not significantly higher than the fundraising amount announced by the committee almost one year ago, though Wilbur said each percent represents $250,000 and is progress for CMED.

Wilbur said many donors asking for their names to be placed on facility space or with scholarships will be addressed at July's Board of Trustees meeting, and said the donations will be particularly beneficial for scholarship programs.

"We'll bring forward a number of naming opportunities that the Board of Trustees needs to accept," Wilbur said. "These are individuals who have indicated interest in naming, whether they are scholarships or some sort of facility space related to our building or potentially even space in the Saginaw area."

Yoder listed some of the medical school's established medical center partnerships, which include Saginaw's Synergy Medical Education Alliance and St. Mary's of Michigan, and Mount Pleasant's McLaren Central Michigan, which recently changed its name from Central Michigan Community Hospital. Yoder said CMED has found partnerships with five or six small community hospitals in Michigan's lower peninsula and seven in the upper peninsula as well.