CMU student treated for bacterial meningitis



A Central Michigan University student who lived in Trout Residence Hall has tested positive for bacterial meningitis, according to a release from the university.

Nicholas Collins, a Livonia freshman, was considered to have been contagious with meningococcal meningitis, a bacterial form of the serious infection that surrounds the brain and spinal cord, between April 30 and Monday. Collins moved out of his Trout residence hall room on Thursday, according to the university. An email was sent out to all students and faculty Wednesday morning.

CMU was alerted of the situation Tuesday by the Central Michigan District Health Department and asks anyone that may have come in contact with Collins to call the Wayne County Health Department, tasked with leading the investigation, at (734) 727-7078.

Bacterial meningitis can be passed through oral secretions in the upper respiratory or throat sections, such as kissing, sneezing or coughing. If untreated, it can cause serious brain damage and possibly death, according to the World Health Organization.

Those believed to be in close contact with Nichols can also call your local healthcare provider of CMU Health Services at (989) 774-6577.


Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in Central Michigan Life.