CMU hires Jason Mester as assistant wrestling coach

Central Michigan hired former Chippewas wrestler Jason Mester to become an assistant coach for the wrestling program Monday.

He replaces Mark DiSalvo, who left his position in October to pursue a career in business.

“We were looking for someone who can work with our middleweights,” head coach Tom Borrelli said. “More so than that, someone who had the same philosophies, was loyal to our program, was going to be here for a while and does things that we feel like they should be done."

Mester He has been an assistant coach at Missouri the last two years. He was a part of its record-breaking 2012 season that included the program's first Big 12 Tournament Championship and a school-record four individual conference champions.

Mester wrestled for the Chippewas from 2001-2004, and the accolades he achieved were numerous.

He won a Mid-American Conference Championship three of four seasons at 141 pounds. He earned All-American honors his junior and senior year, with season-winning percentages that were, respectively, sixth and eighth all time at CMU. He is one of 15 CMU wrestlers in the 100-win club, with 104 wins, placing him tied for 11th.

“He wrestled here, so he believes in our system," Borrelli said. "He believes in the things we teach technically. He has the same philosophy when it comes to the kind of athletes we want to recruit. The way we want to coach them. The way we want to train them.”

After wresting, he became a volunteer assistant under Borrelli. Then he moved on to Nebraska to be its strength and conditioning coach for five years. He trained two national champions with the Cornhuskers.