CMU alum Jaclyn Schultz crowned Miss Michigan USA

missymich
Miss Wyandotte USA Jaclyn Schultz is crowned 2013 Miss Mishigan USA, Saturday September 29, 2012, at the close of the 2013 Miss Michigan USA pageant at McMorran Theater in Port Huron.

Central Michigan University alum Jaclyn Schultz looked out into the crowd with confidence as soon as her heels hit the stage, she said.

“I have never competed in a pageant in my life,” Schultz said. “I had no idea what I was getting myself into.”

More than 70 women from Michigan competed at the two-day contest for the title of Miss Michigan USA, which ended Saturday with Schultz being crowned at the McMorran Theater in Port Huron.

As soon as the diamond-studded crown was placed on her head, Schultz said she was speechless.

“I was overflowed with emotions,” she said. “I couldn’t believe it.”

Looking for a challenge, Schultz said she took a leap of faith and decided to apply for the competition this past July.

“I just went in with a fun attitude and came out with a crown,” she said.

The women competed in three events — a private interview, a swimsuit and fitness walk and  an evening gown walk. The five finalists answered a question in front of judges.

“What is the one thing that sets Michigan apart from any other state?” Schultz was asked.

Schultz said with her CMU marketing background, she immediately thought about the Pure Michigan campaign. Her mom told her the crowd applauded, but Schultz couldn’t hear anything because she was so nervous.

“I talked about how the Pure Michigan campaign shows how great our state is,” she said. “It boosts morale and the economy. It connects with the people.”

Her mom, Suzie Schultz, said she was at the edge of her seat cheering her on Saturday.

"My immediate response was extreme and overwhelming happiness. I have never cried so many tears of joy,” Suzie Schultz said. “I am so excited for her and proud of all she has achieved in her life and career.”

The Miss Michigan USA pageant has no preliminaries. Contestants automatically represent the city they are from, she said. In addition to honoring the state of Michigan in the Miss USA pageant, Schultz has won travel, wardrobe and scholarships.

The winner of the Miss USA pageant ultimately goes on to represent the United States in the Miss Universe competition.

“I’m so excited to continue,” she said.

To prepare for the big day, she altered her day-to-day schedule by exercising and eating healthy.

Despite all the attention, Schultz said she still feels like herself. She was greeted at work Monday with banners, cake and balloons from her co-workers.

“It’s weird to feel like Miss Michigan,” she said.

The 2010 graduate studied integrative public relations and advertising. She worked as an account executive for the advertising department for Central Michigan Life. She is currently pursuing a master's in advertising at Michigan State University’s off-campus program. A Wyandotte native, she graduated from Roosevelt High School in 2006.

Her public relations background and career experience working as a media buyer for Brogan and Partners in Birmingham made her a good fit for the pageant, she said.

Schultz’s boss at Brogan and Partners, Ellyn Davidson, said she will serve as a role model to girls everywhere.

“I was incredibly excited when I heard she was crowned,” she said. “She is so deserving of this title. She is smart, hard-working, motivated and determined.

“I have always heard people say, ‘go for your dreams,’ and I really believe that now. I think everything happens for a reason.”