EDITORIAL: Gawronski's presidency should be considered a success

Student Government Association President Justin Gawronski's decision to not seek re-election comes as somewhat of a disappointment, considering the successes his administration has achieved over the past year.

That's not to say things have been perfect under his belt; far from it, in fact.

The constant shuffling of vice presidents over the past year has caused confusion, and botching voter registration for students on north campus can only be considered a failure, and a large one at that.

But, despite that, his administration has been remarkably effective.

As president, Gawronski has led the fight against the proposed academic calendar change, breathed life back into tailgate by working with the athletics department to ensure students are treated like adults before football games and led one of the most open and accountable administrations in a while.

In addition, Gawronski has worked hard to make himself known on campus. He has been present at registered student organization meetings in addition to frequenting residence halls and special events across campus.

He is a recognizable face and name, and, most importantly, he's kept to his promise from his campaign to make sure the voice of students is heard.

He has certainly set a high standard for whoever succeeds him in a couple of months.

The next SGA president must make good on the promises he or she makes while campaigning. It's not acceptable for SGA to pay lip service to certain, high-profile issues while in office and nothing more.

Because that's not what leadership is about, strong leadership anyways. Part of leadership means taking risks, and sometimes things don't quite work out as intended. However, it is important to realize that long-term goals must be given serious thought.

The student body now expects the SGA to act and for its president to lead on the issues that matter to them.

The new president must be able and willing to admit when he or she makes mistakes and go above and beyond to rectify those errors if he or she wishes to be successful. Otherwise, action and progress will be tough to come by in the coming years.