Women's basketball loses second-straight at Ball State 68-61; drops to second place

Women’s Basketball loses 69-61 for its second-straight at Ball State and falls to second place in the Mid-American Conference West.

Fouls down the stretch hurt the Chippewas as the Cardinals defense remained solid in the final few minutes to put the game away. CMU is now 13-9 on the season and 7-2 in the conference.

Junior guard Jessica Green led the Chippewas with 15 points. Senior guard Brandie Baker had 14 points and nine rebounds while sophomore guard Crystal Bradford had seven points and tied for the team-high in rebounds with 12.

It was a low scoring affair early as both teams struggled to find any offensive rhythm as the score was 4-3 Ball State seven minutes into the game.

CMU and the Cardinals have been two of the stronger defensive teams during conference play, with each giving up less than 60 points per game.

The Chippewas made their first field goal of the game at the 14:23 mark in the first half after senior forward Jessica Schroll made a jumper in the paint.

Offensively things started to turn around for CMU as it began to challenge shots and get some fast break opportunities that led to Ball State fouls and fast break points for the Chippewas.

The lead was 12-10 CMU at the 9:27 mark, thanks to an 11-6 run after the cold start.

The Cardinals would respond with a 12-4 run of their own over the next 6:27 putting the them up 22-14 with three minutes to go in the first.

At the half the score was 27-18 Ball State as it was able to hold the highest-scoring team in the MAC to its lowest scoring half of the season.

Green led the Chippewas with seven points at the half while Bradford, the MAC’s leading scorer, was held scoreless.

CMU shot 23.3 percent from the field and were one for nine from three-point range in the first while the Cardinals managed to shoot 35.7 percent and were two for six from deep.

Freshman guard Nathalie Fontaine, reigning MAC West Player of the Week, continued to lead her team in the second. She finished with 23 points in the game.

The shooting woes continued as the Chippewas began the half just four-for-18 from the field. BSU began the half with a 12-6 run thanks to Fontaine who had ten of the its first 14 points in the half putting it up 39-24 at the 14:12 mark.

The Cardinals led by as much as 15 in the second, but CMU was able to cut the lead down to three at the 5:28 mark with six-straight points from Green and a layup from senior guard Brandie Baker.

BSU eventually stretched the lead back out to 57-47 at the 2:12 mark thanks in part to six fast break points and then finished the Chippewas off at the free-throw line.

CMU will look to snap its two-game losing streak at 2 p.m. Sunday when Buffalo comes to McGuirk Arena.