Column: Broke college student

“Broke college student” is a common phrase that many of us have had to become comfortable using in reference to ourselves.

While I have always been familiar with this phrase, I never thought that I would become this “familiar” with it.

Not that long ago, I was still in high school and living under my parents’ roof with what I now refer to as their luxurious accommodations. Truth be told, I really took for granted the free living my parents provided.

For whatever reason, I had the foolish idea that I would not be buying much in college and that it would be the perfect time for me become financially prepared for my future plans. At this rate, that is no longer a realistic theory but only a dream that I have yet to reach.

Back when I thought that way, I had different outlooks. I would not dare to touch the off-brand groceries, partake in couponing, start my shopping under the big red clearance sign and at the sale racks or even think to actually save my money, but, since college started, there has been a 180-degree turn in that department.

Now that I am a college student, I can definitely categorize myself as broke. If I need to buy groceries, you will no longer spot me at a Bucshes or even a Kroger. Instead, I will be at the nearest (keeping gas in mind) Wal-Mart, where I instantly choose the best value brand. Nor will I drive 20 minutes to shop at a mall. Thank God for online shopping, the sales tab and praise the stores with free shipping.

No one dreams or predicts to be broke in college, but, with my experience, it is inevitable. Who knows, maybe I’m wrong, and I just have yet to learn how to not pass out so many IOUs.

Deep down, I wish I could be writing a column on how the whole “broke college student” phrase is a myth or even how to overcome it, but, unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that being broke is bound to happen.

Even though I know and have come to terms with the idea, it has yet to stop me from depositing anything over $20 into my savings account. More importantly, it has yet to stop me from the days that I personally dread, when I need to make a quick transaction, resulting in a withdraw, which I almost always regret.

“Broke college student:” As much as I hoped and prayed to never say those words, it will all be true for me for the next three years.